In this article, two heavyweights of the bathroom fixtures industry go head to head. On one side, you have Kohler, a venerable American company synonymous with high quality plumbing products. On the other side, you have another American company famous for its plumbing fixtures, American Standard.
Both brands are commonly found in bathrooms across the nation. In this article, we will take some time to compare a top performing toilet from each of these brands. The two products we will be comparing are the Kohler Cimarron Comfort Height Toilet and the American Standard Compact Cadet 3 Toilet.
Both of these toilets, made in the USA, are high quality fixtures from venerated American manufacturers and are some of the best products these companies have to offer. Keep reading our Kohler vs American Standard comparison to know more.
Kohler vs American Standard
Let’s take a closer look at these two companies.
Kohler Co., which was founded by John Michael Kohler in 1873, is headquartered in Kohler, Wisconsin. Although it is most famous for its plumbing fixtures, Kohler manufactures a broad range of other products, including cabinetry, furniture, tile, generators, and engines.
It makes kitchen and bathroom fixtures for both residential and commercial use, and its fixtures have won a number of awards over the years. Kohler is one of the most recognizable bathroom fixture brands in the US.
American Standard is slightly younger than Kohler but just about as well known. It came about when the American Radiator Company (founded in 1892) and the Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company (founded in 1899) merged in 1929 to form the American Radiator and Standard Sanitary Corporation, also known as American Standard.
The company in its present incarnation formed from the merger of American Standard with two other brands which produce bathroom fixtures, Eljer and Crane Plumbing, to create American Standard Brands.
When it comes to American Standard vs Kohler, it is something of a tossup. Although the history of American Standard may be rather more complicated than that of Kohler, it is no less respected for the kitchen and bath fixtures it produces and is about as well known in terms of its popularity and quality.
Both are well known for producing high quality, American made kitchen and bathroom fixtures. Opinions differ on which produces more beautiful fixtures and which produces the more efficient or more powerful fixtures, but the companies come out fairly equally in the end. We will get into the details down below.
Let’s now take a look at the specific Kohler vs American Standard toilets Comparison Guide
Kohler K-3589-0 Cimarron Comfort Height Elongated 1.6 gpf Toilet
- Two-piece toilet.
- Elongated bowl offers added room and comfort.
- Comfort Height(R) feature offers chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up easier for most adults.
- Seat and supply line not included.
- Combination consists of the K-4309 bowl and the K-4418 tank.
- Two-piece toilet
- Elongated bowl offers added room and comfort
- Comfort Height® feature offers chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up easier for most adults
- 1.6 gallons per flush (gpf)
- Standard left-hand Polished Chrome trip lever included
- Combination consists of the K-4309 bowl and the K-4418 tank
- Coordinates with other products in the Cimarron collection.
- Single-flush gravity uses the force of gravity and a precision-engineered tank, bowl, and trapway to create a strong siphon during flushing
- AquaPiston® canister allows water to flow into the bowl from all sides (360 degrees), increasing the power and effectiveness of the flush
- Flush valve’s 3:2 ratio harnesses the natural force of gravity and optimizes flush performance
- Durable canister design has 90% less exposed seal material than a 3″ flapper for leak-free performance
- Light-touch canister flush requires a lower actuation force than a flapper
Installation and Specifications
- Standard 12″ (305 mm) rough-in
- DryLock® System saves installation time and helps prevent water leakage
- Seat and supply line sold separately
- Toilet type: Two-piece, Floor-mount
- Waste Outlet: Floor
- Bowl shape: Elongated
- Flush type: AquaPiston®
- Trap passageway: 2-1/8″ (54 mm)
- Water Consumption Full: 1.6 gpf (6 Lpf)
- Water surface size: 10-1/2″ x 7-1/8″ (267 mm x 181 mm)
- Rim to water surface: 6-1/8″ (156 mm)
- Rough-in: 12″ (305 mm)
- Seat-mounting holes: 5-1/2″ (140 mm)
This two piece Cimarron toilet from Kohler offers both a versatile design and a powerful flush performance.
Its classic two piece style can go with both contemporary and traditional décor, and its elongated toilet bowl shape offers more comfort with its extra room. The toilet seat is positioned at standard chair height to offer greater ease of use.
Furthermore, the toilet also offers AquaPiston technology which allows water to flow into the bowl from all sides of the toilet, increasing the power and effectiveness of the flushing action.
The AquaPiston Universal Gasket fits every model of canister flush valve Kohler toilets, making replacement of the canister especially convenient. It also has 90% less of the seal material exposed than a 3 in flapper.
The yellow seal has been formulated to fight leaks and resist conditions which cause leaks such as wear, tear, swelling, and shrinkage.
The Light-Touch Flush technology of the AquaPiston canister means that the flush will require a lower actuation force than a flapper, which results in a lessened chance of a short flush.
The 3:2 ratio between the valve intake and the outlet harnesses gravity’s natural force and optimizes flushing performance in order to offer maximum power. It also includes a patented flushing engine which delivers a powerful, fast, and virtually clog-free flush.
This toilet comes in a variety of different finishes so you can choose the finish that best matches your bathroom. The finishes include white, almond, biscuit, black, dune, ice grey, and sandbar.
American Standard 2403128.020 Cadet 3
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Combination bowl and tank with seat
- Oversized 3" flush valve
- Elongated siphon action jetted bowl with smooth sided, concealed trapway
- Ever clean surface inhibits the growth of stain and odor causing bacteria, mold and mildew on the surface
- High efficiency, ultra-low consumption utilizes 20% less water
- Meets EPA WaterSense® criteria
- Right Height™ Elongated Bowl
- Space saving! Compact elongated bowl fits in the space of a round front
- 12 in (305 mm) rough-in
- 16 1/2 in bowl rim height for accessible application
- EverClean® Surface
- Includes color-matched and design-matched solid plastic toilet seat and cover with slow-close hinges and EverClean®Surface. Seat features unique sanitary seat lift tab
- Oversized 3 in flush valve with chemical resistant flapper
- Generous 10 in x 8 in water surface area
- Fully glazed 2 1/8 in trapway
- Internal trapway area fully glazed
- 2 color matched bolt caps included
- 5 year warranty
- Length x Width x Height –
28 1/2 in x 15 1/2 in x 28 1/2 in
(724 mm x 394 mm x 724 mm)
Now let’s take a closer look at the features and the performance of this Cadet 3 toilet. This particular model offers an elongated toilet design, which provides a greater degree of comfort. Also, of particular note is how compact this toilet is.
Despite the fact that it is elongated and therefore more comfortable, it still manages to fit in the space of a standard round toilet, thus providing more comfort while taking up less space. The toilet is cleanly and elegantly designed.
As far as toilets go, you and your family or guests won’t have anything to complain about in terms of its looks. It gives off a sleek and elegant yet casual vibe. The Cadet 3 comes in 3 pleasing finishes, white, bone, and linen, so you can choose the finish that best matches the décor of the bathroom in your home.
Also, if your home already features other products from the American Standard Cadet Suite, the Cadet 3 will be a fairly easy choice for you, as it will integrate seamlessly with your other fixtures.
The toilet also features a trip lever with a chrome finish as well as bowl caps which have been color matched in order to preserve the sleek and elegant appearance of the toilet.
The major selling point for this toilet is its flow rate. The Cadet 3 has a flow rate of 1.28 gallons per flush. This equates to a water savings of more than 20 percent when in comparison with a typical 1.6 gallons per flush toilet. But just because the Cadet 3 saves water does not mean it is weak.
Quite the contrary, in fact. It offers great flush performance which is able to move a great deal of waste with just one flush and is the highest score a toilet can possibly receive. This truly is a high efficiency toilet, using as little water as possible to move as much waste as possible.
The American Standard Cadet 3 utilizes the proprietary Cadet Flushing System. Also, the vitreous china makes the porcelain tough and durable so that it will withstand the test of time.
The PowerWash rim, designed smartly and integrated seamlessly into the Cadet line, scrubs the toilet bowl with every single flush, leaving your toilet cleaner. Furthermore, this toilet features American
Standard’s EverClean technology on its surface, which inhibits the growth of bacteria, mildew, and mold on the surface of the toilet which would otherwise cause stains and leave unpleasant odors. It also features a generous water surface area of 10 in x 8 in which will help the toilet bowl stay clean.
The PowerWash rim, EverClean surface, and generous water surface area are all features on this toilet which combine to keep it as clean as possible.
This toilet also features a 2 1/8 in trapway which serves to prevent clogs, as well as a 3 in extra wide flush valve which produces a flushing action that is relatively powerful, when one takes the flow rate into consideration.
Best of all, this toilet comes with a 5 year warranty to give you peace of mind if anything goes wrong.
This Compact Cadet 3 toilet continues the American Standard tradition of excellence when it comes to producing high quality, well designed, durable bathroom fixtures.
It may not offer the most powerful flush of all toilets on the market, but when it comes to offering a powerful flush while saving as much water as possible, the Cadet 3 is fairly hard to beat, making it easy to see why so many homeowners have chosen this toilet for their home. Read our detailed Cadet 3 Review.
Kohler vs American Standard: Face-Off
Although both flushing systems are top notch, American Standard has the edge over Kohler on this one, as its flush design will ensure that you only have to flush once.
Kohler offers more power here than American Standard and is the winner in this category.
The American Standard is the clear winner here, using 20 percent less water than the Kohler.
This one is close and may be a matter of opinion. Our editors preferred the look of the Kohler, as it is slightly sleeker and more elegant than the Cadet 3. It also offers a much wider selection of finishes to choose from.
These toilets are both reasonably priced, but the Kohler has the edge in this category, being slightly cheaper than the American Standard.
American Standard clearly has the better warranty, with a length of 5 years compared to Kohler’s 1 year.
Although both toilets perform quite well, the American Standard Compact Cadet 3 comes out on top. Its efficiency, water saving, flushing, warranty, and other features like the PowerWash rim and EverClean surface give it the edge on the Kohler.
The Kohler is less expensive, however, so if budget is a concern, that may be something to consider. Also, if you need or prefer a full size toilet, then Kohler is the obvious choice for you. The flush of the Cadet 3 may not be powerful enough for some users, in which case they should also go for Kohler.
But aside from these cases, the Cadet 3 from American Standard wins the contest for us, due to its superior features and warranty, and it is our favorite winner when comparing Kohler vs American Standard.
Last update on 2020-08-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API